Friday, July 22, 2005

Lower Your Grocery Bill

I figured we would start with an expense that is easy to save money on! I'm sure many people get their weekly sales flyer from the grocery store and trash them with the junk mail. These are golden! Do not throw them away. Take time to look them over! Grocery shopping is where you can save a bundle. It takes a little time and effort, but I promise it will be time well spent! Pay attention to what's on sale and where! If you are one of those people who shop at one place all the time then you really need to read this post. How many of you have ever used a coupon? Those little pieces of paper are a goldmine! Start buying the Sunday paper and clip those coupons! I save on average of $20+ when grocery shopping. I watch what is on sale and match coupons. Some stores double or even triple the coupons. To give you a good example:

I have 2 local grocery stores and each store doubles coupons up to .99. So a coupon worth .75 off a product gets me $1.50 off that product at the checkout.

Say my store has a brand of ice cream on sale for $1.99 for half gallon. I have a .50 off one coupon. So at trhe check out I get $1 off so I pay .99! Even if you don't have a coupon for an item, if it's on sale at a great price you have immediate savings right there. Some stores also have shopper cards now where you earn bonuses. One of my local stores I earn .20 off per gallon of gas for every $50 I spend. I have to buy the gas at a particular chain BUT that's not a problem. I ave on my groceries and end up saving at the pump! That's what I can a double play.

My other local store that doubles also let's me earn green points which I can redeem online for gift cards and more...again a double play.

Now if items are not on sale and you need something, try the store brands! You can save a bundle doing this and more often than not the store brand items are also on sale in the flyers!

Visit my coupon page to get more information http://www.frugaltown.com/coupons.html

No comments: